Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 2 January 2013 GSC

After you have finished this 2-day Green Smoothie Challenge - remember to email "I Did It - your name and your city" to Clive of RawBC so he can track the numbers participating - send email to info@rawbc.org

If you've ever had a craving, then you will understand mine today. This morning I awoke with blueberries on my mind. More than just an image in my mind's eye, my body was talking to me. 

At first I considered making a blueberry milkshake GS, but that would take time for creation and picture taking. Choosing the quicker route, I searched my archives and found this to share with you!

PEPPERY BLUE GS PUDDING
1-1/2 cups water
1 cup Arugula greens
1/2 Avocado, peeled and seeded
1 pear
1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
  • Place water, pear, blueberries in blender first, then top with greens and 1/2 Avocado
  • Blending will make a very thick pudding because of the Avocado
  • Arugula is one of my favourite greens because of its slightly peppery taste 
  • Thin out with more water if you prefer to drink from a glass
  • Otherwise all you need is a bowl and spoon to enjoy!
Nutri-Tips:
  • Arugula contains Vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant that boosts immunity and is great for the eyes, skin, and teeth.
  • Being low in oxalates, Arugula is a healthy alternative for those seeking foods high in calcium and essential minerals.
__________________________________________________

Since blueberries were calling to me today, and the milkshake idea was still floating around, I simply decided to go with the flow - enjoy!

BLUEBERRY MILKSHAKE GS
2 cups fresh sprouts
1 cup Arugula
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup frozen pears
2 cups Sesame seed mylk (from unhulled Sesame seeds) 
  • In a blender, mix together until thick and creamy
  • Using frozen fruit gives a thicker milkshake effect 
  • Adding more blueberries deepens the colour and intensifies the flavour
  • I have used Sesame seed mylk, but feel free to try with any nut or seed mylk
Nutri-Tips:  
  • Blueberries have soluble fibre to keep your GS from separating (like when you add citrus or apple). Insoluble fibre passes through our intestines largely intact - while soluble fibre prolongs stomach emptying time and may affect blood sugar levels as sugar is released and absorbed more slowly.
  • I find Sesame mylk has more flavour than Almond mylk, and sesame seeds are a good source of calcium, phosphorous, zinc and copper.
  • Unhulled sesame seeds are light brown as opposed to hulled sesame seeds which are white. In their original state, unhulled seeds retain their higher mineral content; are less processed than hulled sesame seeds; offer more calcium than hulled sesame seeds; and are less prone to rancidity - they are also gluten-free!

No comments: