Friday, March 1, 2013

Cooked Spicy Sweet Potato Leek Soup

It has been some time since I cooked a pot of soup (a really, really long time), but I do remember making delicious soups from simple healthy ingredients that were full bodied, creamy, and very good. When I made the switch to eating raw I didn't keep any of the old recipes . . . and here I am beginning anew but this time with a raw food perspective that I didn't have before.  

Adding cooked anything to my diet is a big change for me, but I have decided to include the odd pot of cooked soup while paying close attention to how I feel. My food ratios have been gradually shifting towards 80% raw and 20% cooked, as part of my Digestion Experiment, and so far all is good. 

Rather than using broth from a package, making my own broth was a simple and wholesome solution. Creating this soup was a fun process. I used fresh organic veggies, organic spices, purified water, and my own homemade organic sun-dried tomatoes. I am very pleased to share my first cooked soup creation with you . . . it is a keeper for me!  

Cooked Spicy Sweet Potato Leek Soup
Yield:  3 cups
 
Broth:
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup water
 
Soup:
2 cups water
2 small sweet potatoes, chopped
  (in Canada sweet potatoes are white inside, yams are orange)
1 leek, 1" thick, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes - from small Thai chili
  (red pepper flakes can be hot - you may want to start with 1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp Rosemary, ground (or other seasoning)
  • To make broth:  Soak sun-dried tomatoes for 10 minutes in 1/2 cup water. Pour soaked sun-dried tomatoes together with the soak water into a blender and blend until creamy (I use a Tribest mini blender).
  • To make soup:  In a soup pot, combine the broth (from blended sun-dried tomatoes), 2 cups water, sweet potatoes, leek, carrot, pepper flakes, salt and seasoning
  • Cook over medium heat for only 15-20 minutes, just until the veggies are softened a bit (sweet potatoes cook quickly)
  • Pour 3/4 of the soup from the pot into a large blender and blend until smooth
  • If you leave some whole pieces of sweet potato and carrot in the 1/4 of the soup that is not blended, you will have a thick creamy soup with chunks of veggies
  • Pour the blended 3/4 of the soup from the blender back into the soup pot
  • Stir to mix with the remaining 1/4 of the soup in the pot and serve!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maureen: this sounds absolutely delicious. As soon as we finish our 40 day raw I'm going to try it. Thanks!

Maureen, EZ Raw Living said...

You're welcome Beverly, it was fun and easy to make! Maureen