Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Day 2 - September 2013 GSC

This very simple GS has a mellow flavour and a beautiful deep purple colour.

Blueberry Kale GS
Yield: 1 quart

2 cups kale
1 banana, peeled
1 cup small yellow plums, seed removed
1 cup frozen blackberries
2 cups water
  • In a blender, mix together until thick and creamy

Nutri-Tip:
  • Many years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (low thyroid) and have been taking thyroid medication. In recent years my dosage was reduced through my food choices, but now I am in the process of rebuilding my thyroid. Please Note: this is my personal experience - not a recommendation - simply one of the possibilities I am pursuing.
  • My own research has led me to certain foods that may lower thyroid function by inhibiting the production of thyroid hormone.
  • Goitrogens are foods that can interfere with thyroid function. Goitrogens include glutens, soy isoflavones, and isothiocyanates (primarily found in cruciferous vegetables).
  • Does it mean that you can never eat these foods? NO, because cooking, steaming, or fermenting can reduce the goitrogenic compounds, and eating them in moderation isn't going to be a deal breaker
  • Kale (from the cruciferous family) is a goitrogen - now I enjoy kale once a week and it is steamed before being adding to my green smoothie!
ONE FINAL STEP

If you participated in this GSC, please send an email to Clive of RawBC so he can keep track of the numbers of participants. Send email to info@rawbc.org with the words "I DID IT - FIRST NAME - CITY" in the subject line.

We thank you for your participation and assistance!

No comments: