Green Smoothie Challenge!
Usually it is held on the 3rd Monday and Tuesday each month - but since I was away, for this month it is on the 4th Mon and Tues.
Next month the GSC will be on September 17 and 18 - be sure to mark on your calendar!
Begin by opening a fresh young Thai coconut (they are the white coconuts that have been shaved to a point and are wrapped in clear plastic). I find they are fresher and cheaper in Asian markets.
Remember when buying coconuts to always shake them! If you hear liquid sloshing around - put it down and select a different one. The sound of liquid sloshing means the coconut is older and fermentation is taking place inside - you only want the young ones packed full of the precious liquid!
After removing the lid with the heel of a large knife and pouring approximately 2 cups coconut water into the blender, the meat is removed from the coconut with a heavy spoon, put into a bag, and stored in the freezer for later use in recipes.
2 cups coconut water
1/2 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
1/2 mango, peeled and seeded
1 banana, peeled
1/2 papaya, peeled and seeded
1 to 2 cups fresh spinach (depending on your tasts buds)
- Placing the water and fruit in the blender first makes for easier blending
- After blending the fruit, add the torn or chopped greens
- Blend again and taste
- If using a Vitamix you can add the whole orange (peeled and seeded)
I always enjoy fresh spinach once a week. It is loaded with vitamins, is a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids, and with anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory antioxidants, spinach shows evidence of protection against the occurrence of prostate cancer. It also alkalizes the body, nourishes the eyes, and strengthens the bones!
For dinner on the first day of a challenge, I usually make a thick pudding that fills me when I am normally looking for a meal!
Blueberry Pudding GS
1 cup water
1-1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1-1/2 bananas, peeled
1-1/2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup fresh parsley
1 Tbsp Chia seeds (optional)
- As usual I place the water and fruit in the blender first for easier blending
- After blending the fruit, add the chopped greens
- Blend again and taste
- Optional: After all ingredients in GS are blended, add Chia seeds, pulse for a few seconds to mix through and not break up the seeds - let GS sit for 5 minutes or so to thicken
Blueberries combat cancer, protect your heart, stabilize blood sugar, boost memory, and prevent constipation!