Green Smoothie Challenge!
Next month the GSC will be on November 19 and 20 - be sure to mark on your calendar!
This morning, the first thing I saw upon opening my fridge was a jar full of fresh mixed sprouts (when sprouts are fully sprouted placing them in fridge and rinsing daily keeps them fresh longer). Next I spotted some Gala apples and the idea of pairing them up led me to (yes you guessed it) pears!
So this is how Green Smoothies come to life - thoughts appear and the dance begins!
Apples n' Sprouts GS
1 cup frozen pears
2 cups mixed sprouts
2 cups water
- Placing fruit in the blender first makes for easier blending
- After blending the fruit, add the fresh sprouts, and blend until smooth
- I used Gala apples - just removed the stem and the whole apple went into my Vitamix
- If using a regular blender you may want to leave the skin on, but remove the core
- And if not drunk right away the apples turn GS brownish - so add lemon juice
- Apples are a source of fiber and pectin, to help your digestive system work at its best, eliminating harmful toxins from your body.
- Sprouts are one of the most alkalizing, nutritious and easily accessible foods. Rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins and enzymes, they are easily grown in 4-6 days at minimal effort and little cost. A sprout contains all of the energy, vitamins, nutrients and power that enable it to transform from a small seed into a strong plant. In the sprout stage, its nutritional value is at its maximum (sprouted seeds can contain 400% more protein than lettuce and many times more nutrients).
For dinner I felt like something mellow and smooth - this is what I had!
Arugula Cloud GS
1 peeled banana
2 pears with stem removed
1 peeled and seeded orange
1 handful Spinach
1 handful Arugula
2 cups water
- Blend fruits and water together first
- After blending the fruit, add the greens, and blend until smooth