I'm enjoying my visit to Texas, but have been missing some of my basic raw foods! Recipes that are so quick and simple to make at home can become a challenge without a food processor. (A Vitamix blender, Cuisinart food processor, and an Excalibur dehydrator are my kitchen helpers at home.)
Just thinking about this mousse made my mouth water. And using what local ingredients I could find was well worth the effort . . . for this sweet taste of home.
Kitchen Tips: I substituted raisins for the dates, liquid vanilla for vanilla powder, and natural unsweetened cocoa powder for raw carob powder. Using a food processor = a thick, creamy, silky smooth mousse; Using a Nutri Bullet = chunks and bits of raisins, semi-smooth mousse, and much more work; But the taste was close and the mousse was sooo satisfying topped with organic strawberries.
Creamy Chocolate Mousse
1/4 cup pitted Medjool dates, soaked
1/4 cup agave
1/4 tsp vanilla powder
3/4 cup mashed avocados (1-1/2 avos)
1/4 cup raw carob powder
1/3 cup water
- Place the dates, agave and vanilla in a food processor with the S-blade and process until smooth
- Add avocado and carob powder and process again
- Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl with a spatula
- Add the water and process briefly
- Stored in a sealed container, mousse will keep in fridge for 3 days or 2 weeks in the freezer