Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How to Make . . . Sun-Dried Tomatoes


Wow - just came home to the full bodied smell of dehydrating tomatoes! Not only does raw food have the amazing tastes and textures that I love, but my home is filled with mouth-watering, stimulating aromas when the dehydrator is used! As you can see, my mason jars are getting filled with nutritious, meaty tasting sun-dried tomatoes!

Maybe in some past life I was a Daschnik (people who work and communicate with the earth and its plants - from the Anastasia books), or maybe I just really appreciate simple, natural whole food, because I experience such joy when working with the vital life force in these foods! 



My mandoline is a pleasure to use. I just put it on the thickest setting to slice tomatoes and it helps me go through a box of tomatoes really fast. Tomato slices are placed in a single layer on the mesh of my Excalibur dehydrator tray (for very juicy tomatoes you can put on Paraflexx sheet first.) Dehydrate at 105 degrees F for 12 hours or more, turn slices over, and dehydrate another 12 hours or so until done to your liking! A quick and easy way to make the most of your tomato harvest - PRESERVATIVES and COOKING NOT REQUIRED!

2 comments:

Alice in Knitland said...

Fabulous Post Maureen !! I want to try it too.
Alice

James Dahlberg said...

The dried tomatoes are just the tip of the iceberg. Other vegetables and fruits can receive similar drying and be outstanding.
Mary Dahlberg
foodtoolsplus.com