Did you know that one pound of kale has even more protein than the USDA's recommended daily serving?
Humans need adequate amounts of 9 amino acids in their diet. Individual amino acids are found in fruits, vegetables, and especially greens - complex proteins are found in meat, dairy, and fish.
The body works less when creating protein from the assortment of individual amino acids from greens - as opposed to complex proteins where it works more creating protein from the already-combined long molecules of protein from a foreign pattern like an animal.
So a good way to cover all essential amino acids in abundance - is to eat a variety of greens in our diet!
Pear Kale GS
3 cups water
4-5 small pears
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 bunch Red Russion kale
Optional: 1/2 lemon, peeled and seeded (or lemon juice)
- Begin by adding water and fruit to blender first
- When blended add kale and blend again until smooth
- To counter the stronger taste of kale, add some lemon or lime
Kale is a powerhouse green with high fibre, per calorie has more iron than beef, and has Vitamin K for bone health and blood clotting. It is filled with antioxidants to help protect against various cancers, and is a great anti-inflammatory with omega-3 fatty acids. And kale also has Vitamin A for your vision and skin; Vitamin C for your immune system; and per calorie kale has more calcium than milk to aid in preventing bone loss.
I have posted this recipe before, but it is such a refreshing version of a GS that I thought I'd share it again.
Double Orange GS
2 cups water
2 oranges, peeled and seeded
1 banana, peeled
1 cup Arugula (if you don't have Arugula, increase Spinach to 2 cups)
1 cup Spinach
1 large chunk Ginger, peeled
1-1/2 Tbsp Chia seeds
- Adding the water, oranges, and banana to the blender first makes for easier blending if you are using a regular blender - I use a Vitamix
- To this liquid blend, add the arugula, spinach and ginger, and blend again until smooth and creamy
- Add Chia seeds last and only blend for a few seconds to keep seeds whole
- Let GS sit in blender for 10 minutes while the Chia seeds absorb liquid and swell up to thicken the GS