My friend Karen renamed it Citrus Nettle GS, and the Stinging Nettle was clipped from plants growing in my yard (just be sure to wear gloves)!
This was my first time adding fresh nettles - usually I use the dried version. And I am happy to report that Karen and I did not get stung!
Citrus Nettle GS
Yield: 1 quart
2 cups water
2 cups water
Handful stinging nettle leaves
1 mango, peeled and seeded
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend together until smooth
Be aware that because Stinging Nettle may affect the blood's ability to clot, it could interfere with blood thinning drugs.
- Stinging nettles is more nutritious than most greens in the store. “Compared to spinach, it has 29x the amount of calcium, 14x the amount of iron, 8x the amount of magnesium, and 4x the amount of potassium. Courtesy of Victoria Boutenko
Serving Size: 1 cup (89g or 3.1 ounce)---------------------------------------AmountRDI%Protein2.4119g5%Calcium428.09 mg43%Iron1.4596 mg8%Magnesium50.73 mg13%Phosphorus63.19 mg6%Potassium297.26 mg6%Zinc0.3026 mg2%Copper0.06764 mg3%Manganese0.69331 mg35%
I have made this Green Smoothie many times before, but it was a good one to finish off this two-day challenge. If you joined us for this GSC, remember to contact Clive of RawBC so he can add you to the growing list of participants. Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the caption "I DID IT" and your Name and City.
Yield: 4 cups
2 cups purified water
1 cup mild tasting greens (like spinach)
1/3 of a whole pineapple
1 apple (or 1 cup strawberries)
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth
- Always taste test for balance of flavours
- A slice of lemon (peeled) will counter too green a flavour
- A GS quickly alkalizes the body; helps build hydrochloric acid in the stomach and is a great source of protein, vitamins, minerals and fibre.
- Low stomach acidity (hypochlorhydria) is a condition that occurs when the human body is unable to produce adequate quantities of stomach acid.
- Low stomach acidity dramatically impacts digestion and absorption of most nutrients necessary for health.
- Hydrochloric acid is the only acid that our body produces.
- All other acids are by-products of metabolism that are eliminated as soon as possible.