Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 3 of 7-day GSC

We seem to have a retreat green smoothie theme going here - so let's continue with one more GS from the retreat for you to try.

Creamy Parsley Soup GS
Yield: 1 quart

1 bunch Italian parsley
2 celery stalks, green tops attached
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado, peeled and seeded
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup mango, fresh or frozen
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp Turmeric
2 cups water
Garnish with Dulse flakes
  • In a blender, mix together until thick and creamy
  • I used cherry tomatoes and frozen mango (and added a small handful of pea shoots to my blender)
  • Scoop 1 or 2 Tbsp Dulse flakes over top and mix through
  • This GS soup will be a bit thicker with more of a savoury flavour

Nutri-Tip:
  • Parsley has been called a chemoprotective food because it can help neutralize certain types of carcinogens like benzopyrenes that are part of cigarette smoke and charcoal grill smoke
Follow Up:
  • On day 1 (which for me was actually day 9) I have become accustomed to eating very little. And although my energy was not as high as on the retreat, overall I was feeling good. Snacks - berries, mango pudding, kelp fronds
  • On day 2 (since I am also reducing my dependency on thyroid pills) my body is adjusting and I noticed a little dip in my energy mid day but it came back up later in the day. Snacks - peach, kelp fronds
  • On day 3 everything feels normal and there are absolutely no cravings for anything. My weight is probably down around 5 pounds, but that is just a guess since I do not have a weigh scale.
  • I have company visiting me this week and day 3 we toured around Qualicum Beach and did some ocean swimming. My food intake changed when we stopped in a restaurant for lunch. I had a very small bowl of Vegetarian Minestrone soup without the pasta, and (after this small detour) returning to my Green Smoothies felt like coming home. Snacks - peach, kelp fronds
  • If you noticed that I've been snacking on kelp fronds, it's not only that I am thoroughly enjoying them but also because they are good for my thyroid. The name on the package is Bull Kelp (Nereocystis luetkeana), and luckily the company is very close to me in Cumberland. I am ordering a one pound bag. 

No comments: